Elective Office: Senate 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014. Current term expires January 2019.
Previous Standing Committee Assignments: Early Learning and K-12 Education, 2009-10; Children and Family Services, 1992; Energy and Utilities, 1992; Law and Justice (Judiciary), 1993-present; Ways and Means, 1993-2008; Governmental Financial Institutions and Housing, 1995; Financial Services, Insurance and Housing, 2003; Natural Resources and Parks, 1997-98; Energy, Technology and Telecommunications, 1999-2000; State and Local Government, 2001-02; Rules, 2004; Government Operations, Tribal Relations and Elections, 2011-12; Government Operations and Elections, 2003; International Trade and Economic Development, 2005-06.
Legislative Leadership: Chair, Governmental Operations 2013-present; Chair, Government Operations & Elections Committee 2003-04; Ranking Republican member, State & Local Government Committee 2001-02; Chair, Law & Justice (Judiciary) Committee, 1997-98; Ranking Republican member, Law & Justice (Judiciary) Committee, 1995-96; Republican Assistant Whip, 1993-94; Chair, Children & Family Services Committee, 1991-92; Vice Chair, Governmental Operations Committee, 1992.
Civic Activities: Director, Reading Tree Advisory Board; Board member 2006-09, now honorary member, Valley Cities Counseling & Consultation. Member: State Farm Bureau; Boy Scouts of America (Guardian Member); Founding member, Lake Tapps Task Force; Sons of Italy. Past Member: Auburn Food Bank Board of Directors, 1998-2003; Auburn Chamber of Commerce; Local Council, Boy Scouts of America; Soos Creek Action Response. Former state chair, Task Force on Families in Crisis. Founder, National Foundation for Families.
Special Committees: Current: Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Trade Policy, 2015-present; Legislative Task Force on School Siting, 2015-present; Washington State Task Force Against the Trafficking of Persons, 2015-present; “Sunshine” Committee (Public Records Exemptions Accountability Committee), 2011-present; Statewide Coordinating Committee on Sex Trafficking, 2014-present; Unmanned Aerial Systems Task Force, 2014-present; Joint Select Committee for Veterans and Military Affairs, 2001-present (Co-Chair); Election Administration and Certification Board, 2007-present; Sentencing Guidelines Commission, 2001-present. Former: Governor’s Juvenile Issues Task Force, 1991; State Building Code Council, 1991-95; Special Legislative Task Force for the Juvenile Justice Act, 1994; Caring For Washington Individuals with Autism Task Force, 2005-08; Puget Sound Action Team Council, 1999-2006; Statute Law Committee, 1994-2001; Washington State Institute for Public Policy, 2005-11; Economic Development Finance Authority, 2000-03; Governor’s Council on Substance Abuse, 2006-10; Agency Council on Coordinated Transportation, 1998-2008.
National Organizations: Executive Board, National Association of Sportsmen’s Caucuses; Chair, Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus (WA); State Chair, National Women in Government; American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC); National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL); NCSL Law and Criminal Justice Committee and Economic Development, Trade and Cultural Affairs Committee; Council of State Governments-West Transportation and Trade Committee; ALEC Homeland Security Working Group.
International Civic Activities: CTED Trade Mission to South Korea, China and Thailand, 1999 (no taxpayer money was spent); Instructor to East Timor in Parliament, taught democracy and election process, sponsored by International Republican Institute, June/July 2003; Founder: La Escuela de Esperanza (School of Hope) which provides teachers, educational material and humanitarian relief for Honduran children and Honduras Health Clinic which provides needed clothing and medical supplies, 2003; Goodwill and trade mission to Taiwan by invitation and sponsorship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office.
Employment: Senator Roach served as the legislative aide and chief of staff to former Senator and King County Council member Kent Pullen.
Education: B.A., History, 1970, BYU; Teacher Certificate, 1971.
Awards & Honors:
- NFIB Guardian of Small Business Award 2013-14; 2011-12; 2003-2008; 1993-2000;
- Washington Association of Agriculture Educators, District II Legislator of the Year, 2014;
- National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses, Heritage Award for the Western U.S., 2013;
- Women in Politics, Year of the Woman, 2012;
- Ducks Unlimited, Leader in Outdoor Heritage and Conservation, 2014;
- Safari Club International, National Legislator of the Year;
- Washington Association of County Auditors for outstanding work on election issues, 2004;
- Friend of the taxpayer award, Citizens for a Sound Economy, 2002;
- Washington State Veterans Legislative Coalition Outstanding Service Award, 2000;
- Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 690 Recognition Award, 2000;
- Washington Council of Police & Sheriffs, Legislator of the Year, 1995-1999;
- Pierce County DUI/Traffic Safety Award, 1999;
- Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs Legislator of the Year, 1998;
- Washington State District and Municipal Court Judges Assn., President’s Award, 1998;
- Mothers Against Drunk Drivers Appreciation Award, 1997;
- Washington State Association for Justice, Legislator of the Year, 1997;
- NRA, Defender of Justice, 1996;
- Valley Cities Counseling & Consultation Certificate of Appreciation, 1997;
- Washington State Law Enforcement Association Sentinel Award, 1996;
- Washington Retail Association Recognition Award, 1996;
- Auburn Area Chamber of Commerce Appreciation Award, 1995;
- King County Outdoor Sports Council Legislator of the Year Award, 1993;
- Washington State Dietetic Association Public Policy Maker Award, 1992;
- Foster Care Joint Conference Committee Appreciation Award, 1991.
Personal: Pam and her husband Jim have been married for 33 years. Together they have five grown children: one daughter and four sons. Four of the children have earned their bachelor’s degrees and the fifth is attending school full time. A son has earned his MBA degree and another has earned his law degree. Pam’s son Dan Roach is a former member of the Washington State House of Representatives and now serves on the Pierce County Council.